MY SOUL IS FED BY NEEDLE AND THREAD
....ohh and pencils and paper

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Show & Tell

Everything I am stitching at the moment is either a secret or a commissioned piece...boring I know! However luckily I have clever friends. Monica bought her beautiful "Teaparty" quilt by Libby Richardson to show us at our last stitching evening.
I had my little old camera so it is not a great shot but I did take a close up of one of the blocks..
Isn't it gorgeous....Monica's stitching is so fine and beautiful. A pretty teacup, what's not to love!
Thanks for letting me share Monica x
AND
Art piccies coming up so look away now if you are not interested.
I have been working on a piece for a few weeks now and I thought you might like to see it through it's varying stages....the subject is our resident possum Mum Poss. I have called it "The Downstairs Tenant". Mr R. has called her a lot worse but secretly I love her! Anyway! Firstly after taking a reference photo I do a freehand sketch....to make sure everything is where it should be before transferring it on to my drawing paper.
Had to make a bit of an eye adjustment, refine the nose with teacher's help and then we were away. After the transfer to the proper paper I put the first under layers on...hard work and lots of time.
Some details begin to be worked on like the ears and nose. Then the fur is begun....almost one at a time. To see which way the fur is going and where the light falls.
Burnishing over the top, more fur, more burnishing, adding darker details, more fur, some pastel for the background and finally some Whiskers (boy did I have the scary face on for those whiskers) and we're done........"Mum Poss"
I never realised that I was a 'details' person until I began these classes but I love working until I get it right.
The next candidate...a little meerkat standing guard is not however playing the game....many hours ahead I think and lots of annoying my teacher lol! She is so patient! Hopefully I can get it right eventually!
The other thing I want to share with you is a lovely quick little book I have just read. I am a big fan of Australian actor and writer William McInnes. If you are too you will enjoy this sweet book.
Lastly I am sending my love to my dear friend Diane and her family xxx
Namaste and Blessings,
Michelle xxx

21 comments:

  1. MuM possum is wonderful Michelle... and the details looks PeRFecT to me! Well done...xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Michelle ,Monika's quilt is gorgeous,Thankyou for sharing and boy mum possum looks fantastic,well done my clever friend Namaste xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great. Now I want a tea party quilt! I admire your drawing talent. I can't even draw stick figures. I'm glad you enjoy it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Mama Poss, she is gorgeous! What a pretty tea party quilt, I love the idea of using doileys that would otherwise just sit in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica's quilt is stunning - thank you for the pictures. And I have enjoyed seeing your possum in progress, fascinating and yes, those whiskers look extremely scary, you must have a very steady hand. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica's quilt is beautiful. Your possum is amazing, so life like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really are an awesome artist girl! It is good to see how much preparation and time it takes before it all takes shape. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle your drawings are just amazing - you really are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt. You friend is so clever. I secretly love possums too - I can't get over the fur on your possum. It looks so real as though you could pat her. Just beautiful Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. The work on your possum is stunning. Thank you for sharing the detail you go into. Your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your friends quilt is gorgeous , love the use of the doily . Your art work is just wonderful , you are so talented .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow your art work is stunning, Michelle. You have captured the possom so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monica's quilt is an absolute beauty.

    Your drawing is utterly amazing Michelle! You have buckets of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt. Love the possum, so lifelike. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats a lovely tea party quilt.... and I do so admire your art work... had no idea what was involved.... Ive reserved that book at the library....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt Michelle, Monica must be very happy with it! Your Mum Poss is just gorgeous! Well done...I didn't realise how many layers go into getting the beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Monica's quilt is just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Oh my goodness, your drawing is awesome. You are so talented.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Monica's quilt is just gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Oh my goodness, your drawing is awesome. You are so talented.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my you are such a talented lady Michelle, love your possum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, how wonderful how the possum comes to life under your skilful hands, Michelle. Think I need to get that Birdwatcher book, he he. That is a Very Sweet teacup, too. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It makes my day and lets me know I am not talking to myself. Please leave your email address with your comment if you are a not a blogger so I can personally thank you or pop back to the comments later.